Today I want to talk to you about an issue that is near and dear to my heart. That issue is how to protect your gold and silver inexpensively.
As funny as it may sound, The safest and least expensive way to accomplish this is to bury it.
I have made tubes like the ones you see above in order to bury my silver and do it in such a way that is easy to retrieve it at some point in the future. (My wife is mad at me now because I’m sharing my secret but that’s another story.)
As you can see from the photos the tube is made up of an 1 1/2″ PVC pipe by 2 foot long, 1 1/2″ PVC fittings, A 3/8″ by 6″ long stainless steel eye, some stainless steel washers and one rubber washer.
- You can plug up one end (as I have done and showed you in the picture above) or you can simply use a 1 1/2″PVC cap.
- On the other end, you can put a 1 1/2″ PVC female connector and plug as shown in the close-up.
- Then drill a 3/8″ hole in the male threaded plug.
- Next, thread a 3/8″ stainless steel nut approximately 1″ onto your stainless steel eye.
- Then install 3/8″ washer and then your rubber washer.
- Then insert the threaded end of your eye into the 3/8″ hole that you drilled in your male plug.
- Finally, put a 3/8″ stainless steel washer and nut and tighten it.
This tube will hold approximately 170 1 ounce silver Maples.
It is very important to make certain that you (for your heirs) will be able to find your tube in the future.
In order to accomplish this, you should take the GPS coordinates of the spot that you buried it and store them somewhere safe. My recommendation is that you include these coordinates in your will.
When it comes time to retrieve your gold and or silver it is as simple as digging a hole at the appropriate GPS coordinates, hooking the stainless steel eye and pulling the tube out of the ground.